Monday, April 19, 2010

The only thing you are promised is this day

Today I sent my sister a text, "I miss us.  I miss talking to you.  I miss feeling connected.  Do you feel it too?"  And I cried.  Full on in your face crying in a hotel restaurant in Memphis.  Tears of joy?  No.  Tears of sadness, not really....just the realization that #25 getting crossed off the list was a long time in the making.

How is it that we let 'life' get in the way of truly feeling?  Not just the celebrations, but the tragedies, and every single magical moment in between.  Perception, pleasing others, and the rules of engagement for the 'game of life' seem to get in the way.  I wonder how much of life we miss in this vanilla state of living?

Over the past few weeks, I watched one of my dearest friends go through the heartache of losing her beloved mother.  Watching one of the strongest, most courageous, and stoic people in my life go through this process was one of the greatest testaments of love I have ever seen.  She amazed me with her balance of resilience, grief, and love.  Present, in the moment, she managed every conversation and situation with grace and heart.  She is her mother's daughter.

Each day presents us with moments, magical moments that I choose not to miss.  Maybe it is a sibling reaching out and boldly supporting you in a new and different way.  Or through a friend using her beloved mother's sewing kit to teach you how to sew--just the way her mother taught her so many years ago.

The only thing you are promised is this day.  What are you doing with your day?

2 comments:

  1. i love this. i've been thinking a ton about perception lately -- how we can miss the most beautiful moments because we aren't looking for them. seeing beauty in context of the every day.

    by the way, as a well tattooed person, i must say, i LOVE the design of yours! can't wait to see the actual.

    thank you for being vulnerable enough to share your journey. i am growing and learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just WOW on this one. Looking forward to your next post. What's next? Lord knows there's been plenty of opportunity for #7... no pressure.

    ReplyDelete